Periodically, we will interview members of the Our Time and Camp Our Time family (company members, alumni, honorees, participating artists, the board, volunteers, staff, donors, parents, campers, counselors, etc.) by asking them the same 20 questions. Which will now be known as THE OUR TIME QUESTIONS.
Our second interview is with Peter Reitzes. Peter is a long-time Our Time supporter, a speech language pathologist, an Adjunct Professor at Long Island University, the Co-host of StutterTalk.com podcast, the Co-editor of The Journal of Stuttering Therapy, Advocacy and Research (JournalofStuttering.com), and a person who stutters.
1. Favorite Food: Anything but olives! I love Mexican food (tamales, tortas, etc.)
2. Favorite thing about Our Time: I get to meet and appreciate so many cool and talented people who stutter.
3. Favorite place I’ve been: Israel
4. Place I’ve always wanted to go: Outer space (no joke, I want to be the first stutterer in orbit).
5. Favorite Movie: Star Wars
6. If you were trapped on an island for three years, and you could only listen to one recording artist, who would it be: The Hold Steady
7. Mac or PC: What’s a Mac?
8. Chocolate or Vanilla: Vanilla with peanut butter cups and M & Ms.
9. Cats or Dogs: Both. Seriously, I could love a squirrel, no joke.
10. Favorite Our Time moment: Years ago, seeing the Our Time band respond to an actor’s stuttering by holding the music for a bar or two and staying with the actor through the block. When the actor finished the stutter, the band played on.
11. What do you want to be when you grow up: A good father.
12. Who would play you in a movie: A good looking bald dude. Is Harrison Ford bald yet?
13. Favorite Book: Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad
14. Favorite sports team: The Philadelphia Eagles
15. What advice do you have for people who stutter: Stuttering is allowed.
16. What advice do you have for people who don’t stutter: Support Our Time! And, it’s good to talk about stuttering with your friends and children. Even if that makes us stuttering folks uncomfortable sometimes, it shows us that when we are ready, you are there.
17. Favorite TV Show: Battlestar Galactica (not the old series, the new one)
18. Favorite Play or Musical: Our Time shows.
19. If you were President, what would your first official act be: I would try and appoint an equal number of people from both political parties, men and women alike. I want to live in a non-partisan country in which we look for common ground.
20. Where do you see Our Time in 10 years: I see Our Time changing lives and making this a better world for people who stutter, our families and friends. Our Time is like pizza, it is always good.